Math Placement Test
Incoming 7th Grade
- All incoming 7th graders will be asked to take a placement test to determine what course they will be placed in for the fall. Students will either be placed in Math 7 or Math 7 Accelerated.
- Students coming from a school in the Newhall, Saugus or Sulphur Springs Districts will take the test at their current elementary school. Please ask your 6th grade teacher for the dates.
- Students coming from a non-feeder school can come to Placerita on Monday, June 5th at 3:30 pm to take the placement test. If you are unable to make the June test you can wait until August and take it on August 3rd at 2:30 pm. This is the same day as 7th grade processing day.
New and Returning 8th Grade
- All returning 8th graders will be placed in the next sequential course. Math 7 students will go to Math 8. Math 7 Accelerated students will be placed in Algebra 1 or Math 8 based upon grades and placement test scores.
- All new 8th grade students coming to Placerita from out of the district can come to school on Monday, June 5th at 3:30 pm to take the math placement test. If you are unable to make the June test we will offer it on August 3rd at 2:30 pm.
Note: Students must have completed either Math 8 or Math 7 Accelerated to be placed into Algebra 1, no exceptions.
At Placerita we are proud to offer the following math classes:
Math 7: Math 7 is a year long class covering the concepts of Probability, Geometry, Rational Numbers, Equations, Inequalities and Proportions. The textbook for this class will be McDougal Littell Math Course 2.
Math 8: Math 8 is a year long class covering the topics of Real Numbers, Equations in one and two variables, Functions, Triangles and the Pythagorean Theorem, Transformations, Congruence and Similarity, Volume and Surface Area, Scatterplots and Data Analysis.
The textbook for this class will be McDougal Littell Math Course 3.
For our advanced students, we offer:
Math 7 Accelerated: Math 7 Accelerated is an extremely rigorous course that covers both 7th and 8th grade CC Math standards and prepares its students for Algebra 1 in 8th grade. This course will require approximately 45 minutes of homework, nightly, including weekends.
Algebra 1: Algebra 1 is the next course in the sequence taken by students after they have completed either Math 7 Accelerated or Math 8. Algebra covers the topics of Equations and Inequalities, Functions, Linear Concepts, Exponents, Radical and Polynomials, Quadratic Functions and Probability and Statistics.
All Math classes at Placerita follow the Common Core standards and procedures.