Placerita Junior High School is proud to be an affiliated chapter of the National Junior Honor Society. NJHS is the leader among organizations and societies that promote appropriate recognition for students who reflect outstanding accomplishments in several categories. Membership is open to those students who meet the required standards in the areas of scholarship, character, leadership, citizenship and service.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS;
Q: How does my student qualify for NJHS?
A: In order to qualify for NJHS a student must do the following:
- Have a 3.5 or above cumulative G.P.A. through Quarter 3
- Complete 10 community service hours for a non-profit organization
- Maintain good behavior and citizenship
Q: When will I be notified of qualification?
A: Parents and students will be notified by mail in January after returning from winter break.
Q: What are considered to be acceptable community service hours?
A: All hours must be for a NON-PROFIT organization. students may not volunteer at a relative's or friend's business. Please click on the links on the right to see a list of what is and is not acceptable and for suggestions.
Q: How soon can I start my community service hours and where can I get the paperwork needed to sign-off my hours?
A: Returning 8th grade members ONLY can count hours starting in June 2023. New 7th grade members may count hours starting August 2023.
The service hours verification sheet will be handed out at the January meeting. However, if you’d like to get a head start you can download the paperwork by clicking the appropriate link to the right. You can also get the paperwork from Ms. Blevins (Rm. 102 – 7th grade) OR Mrs. Tait (GYM – 8th grade)
Q: Is there a fee to participate?
A: There is no required fee. However, we are kindly requesting a donation of $5 to cover the cost of the certificates and medals that are awarded at the induction ceremonies.
- January 11th 2024 - LETTERS MAILED TO ALL QUALIFYING NJHS STUDENTS
- Tuesday, January 23rd 2024 - MANDATORY MEETING FOR ALL QUALIFYING NJHS MEMBERS
- Tuesday, April 16th 2024 - DEADLINE TO TURN IN ALL COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS TO ADVISORS...NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE
- Tuesday, April 30th 2024 - 7TH GRADE MANDATORY REHEARSAL IN GYM FOR CEREMONY(2:45-3:30)
- Tuesday April 30th 202 - 7TH GRADE NJHS INDUCTION CEREMONY AT HART AUDITORIUM (6PM)
- Wednesday May 1st 2024 - 8TH GRADE MANDATORY REHEARSAL IN GYM FOR CEREMONY(2:45-3:30)
- Wednesday May 1st 2024 - 8TH GRADE NJHS INDUCTION CEREMONY IN HART AUDITORIUM (6PM)